15 June 2018

Guess Who's Back (Back Again)??

It is inconceivable to me that it's been almost a whole year since my last blog post. I always think I'm going to use this as a platform to connect with other educators during the year and then time totally gets away from me. I'll try harder this upcoming year; I already have several ideas about sharing student reactions and samples from new units that I try.

Anyway, this summer, I have the privilege of taking another course with a colleague and friend who ran the Innovator's Mindset course last summer. I'll be reading Learner-Centered Innovation this time around, and I'm really excited about it!

Our first assignment is to post a recommendation for a book that all educators should read. Every time I'm asked this question, I give the same answer: The 5 Love Languages of Children. It's been amazing to me how much parenting books help me become a better teacher - I'm not a parent myself, and I only get to see my students for a specific developmental period in their lives. That being said, teaching is, at its heart, about relationships, and it seems like parenting might be as well. For that reason, I have returned over and over again to The 5 Love Languages of Children. Each person is different in how we build relationships, and I think we often forget that kids are different as well. One student might feel valued by me buying a book specifically for them because it meant that I was thinking about them even when I wasn't with them; another might need me to sit with them and work together on a project to feel the same way. It's important to remember that.

Another thing we were supposed to do was post a selfie. Please enjoy this one of me in my current favorite shirt! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment