19 June 2016

Google Apps (Thing 4)

Google has done some extraordinary things for education. I may be late to the party, but I didn't realize how much they have that is geared specifically toward teachers and students! I have used Google Docs in several classes that I've taught (both in District 36 and out of it), and this year I started with more spreadsheets and forms. This is the rare case in which I can say that the technology has made my life easier literally every time I've used it. All Google-related apps or programs that I've tried have worked exactly the way that they were supposed to work...the first time! :)

Google Docs has been the best collaborative tool that I've ever come across (no hyperbole!). The ability to read the documents as they come in and make comments in real time has fundamentally changed the way that I run my writing and reading workshops. Instead of having to wait for a paper copy of the essay to be turned in, I can see the minute that students are ready for me to comment, and since I can type much more quickly than I can write (and more legibly!), I can offer much more specific, focused feedback on their writing. They can also write comments back if my suggestions have been unclear or if they don't know how to do what I am suggesting. Here's what I used to have to do when giving feedback on student writing:



All the information is there, but it's super cluttered and probably hard for the students to read which comment goes with which sentence or paragraph. Now, here's what it looks like in Google Docs:


I know it's small, but hopefully you can see that the highlighted words correspond to the comments on the side and how much easier that is to follow than the "track changes" feature in Microsoft Word. I like Word very much, but I don't think it was really designed to collaborate, whereas Google Docs absolutely was, and it shows. I like that the comments are still available but hidden after the student checks "resolved" and that the earlier drafts are still there (which I didn't know before watching this intro video).

 

The second app that has been great for collaboration on a more professional level is Google Sheets (I mostly use the spreadsheet but have also branched out into the schedule when doing conferences or other meetings.) I haven't used the spreadsheet with students yet, but since I am lucky enough to co-teach, that tool has been invaluable for sharing data with each other. Our students work with Wordly Wise 3000 online, which is a great program but was a challenge in terms of managing the transfer of scores from the program into my gradebook. An additional challenge with the program in terms of record-keeping is that since it's self-paced and has different levels, each student could very well be at a different lesson or level at any given time. I have my students complete one lesson per week on average, but since they could be on different lessons and levels, it's not like I can say, "Do lesson seven of level eight for Friday." This was a nightmare for me until I discovered Google Sheets! I can keep each class's scores for each trimester in the same document thanks to the handy tabs at the bottom, and my co-teacher can input grades, adjust scores when students retake lessons, or check in with students about lessons they're missing without me having to be there or hand over a paper copy of the information. Here's what it looks like:



The due date and post-test score are across the top; in each column, I record the lesson that is due on that date and the score each student received on that lesson. The gray boxes are lessons that were submitted late, the blue boxes are lessons that were retaken so I know to average the scores, and the red boxes are scores that were lower than 79%, which means the lesson needs to be retaken. 

The third app that I have started to work with much more this year is Google Forms. I've used this with students as well, mostly for collecting information about projects in which the students have a certain amount of choice. For example, when I taught Shakespeare this year, I offered a choice of either A Midsummer Night's Dream or Macbeth. In the past, I would have taken class time to summarize each play and then ask the students individually which one they would rather read. This year, I created a very simple form that they completed outside of class; it provided a summary of each play and asked them to choose which one they wanted to read.


The REALLY cool thing (at least to me) was that the results of the form were automatically collected into a Google spreadsheet, which made it very easy for me to see who wanted to read what. (The last column is usernames, which I have cut off on purpose, but is obviously really important to this kind of use for the form.)


Another thing I use the forms to collect is information about how they are progressing on a long-term assignment. For this form, I wanted to know which person versus society conflict they had chosen to research from their Civil Rights book group, why they had chosen that one, and what information they already had.


This form will give you either individual or summary responses and can also be exported into a spreadsheet. The individual responses just look like the form filled out, and the summary response view gives you a list of all of the answers to each question. It also provides a quick view list at the top of who has and has not responded - a very important tool for managing assignments, at least for me.


This is just the start of the first question ("What conflict did you choose?"). The pie chart - which updates in real time and is sort of cool to watch if you have time! - is what percentage of each class responded.

One app I would like to get better at using is Google Calendar. I think it would be great for collaborating professionally - then my colleagues and I wouldn't have to call or email each other to schedule all of our meetings - and I probably wouldn't forget things or have to use a dozen post-its stuck to my laptop. David Lee's ed tech blog seems like a good place to start for me, and although I've know about TeacherCal for a while, I haven't really used it, and it seems like this would be cool. Finally, this video brings me full circle: back to the beginning of this entry where I said that Google has done extraordinary things that are applicable for education specifically. I love it. You can attach documents to your calendar! Who knew? (Probably everyone else, but not me. :) ) You can also share the calendar so your co-teacher can edit and view! (I did know that, but I'm excited about it all over again.) 


P.S. This video is from 2014, but I think the basic information is the same. I'll find out when I try!

8 comments:

  1. Maggie, I agree with you 100%. The Google Apps that I have used have worked seamlessly in my classroom and have made teaching and learning more collaborative. Your spreadsheet for keeping track of Worldly Wise 3000 is AMAZING. I am impressed with how you have made WW work for you and your students as documented by this game changing google sheet. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Em! I learned from my WU neurodevelopment class that I have a problem with "materials management" (Exhibit A: my desk!) and so when we started with WW, I was really overwhelmed trying to keep track of the data. It seems my management issue is with paper and online...I'm also not much of a planner, but that seems to make the issue worse, so this year, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to put systems in place to help me AND my students. The next thing I need to do is figure out how to keep the record of who should be on what lesson separate from the scores so I can share that with the kids and not have to answer "What lesson should I be on?" 12 times a week.

      Delete
  2. Maggie, I really like what you had to say about Google Docs in regards to how it is a collaborative app/program compared to Microsoft word. It is great that you can share and view students work on any computer, and that you can share comments back and forth with your students. I look forward to using the comments section more with my new class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the "Can comment" setting, but I haven't figured out the "Suggestions" view yet - every time I try to use that, it messes up the kids' writing. Still working on it...

      Delete
    2. Suggestions is for collaborative editing while keeping one person in charge. The owner of the doc gets to choose whether or not they will accept the suggested edits. Once accepted, they become part of the paper.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Maggie! You have some great ideas! I love that google docs is making your life easier. No more carrying bags of essays home to grade! One thing that I love about this class is getting to see what other teachers in the district are doing, not only with technology, but also with content. I did not know that Wordly Wise was used in the upper grades. One of our fourth grade teachers uses it. This is great information for me, because I can start introducing the format Wordly Wise uses with my fourth graders to better prepare them for what is to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne! We piloted the online version of Wordly Wise this year across the building - some of us had used the paper versions in the past - and liked it enough to continue with it next year. I didn't realize that the elementary teachers were using it too - good to know! Do you use the online program or the paper one?

      Delete
  4. If you think typing comments is faster than writing, you might want to see how fast you can get with voice comments using Kaizenza Voice Comments- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kaizena-voice-comments/lhiccpgcnopcjjdobhoddnplkebplfaj?hl=en

    ReplyDelete