15 June 2016

Reflections on Lifelong Learning (Thing 1)

Of all the things that have changed in the education field in the last decades, I think one thing that has remained constant has been the idea of "lifelong learning." It may have looked different in different times, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find a teacher who didn't want his or her students to continue learning after they left his or her classroom.

I also think that the 7 1/2 habits outlined in the video have remained largely constant; again, the technology that was available to people has changed pretty dramatically, but the basic premise behind the habits is timeless. Setting goals, accepting responsibility for your own learning, viewing problems as challenges rather than obstacles, having confidence in yourself as a learner, creating your own learning "toolbox", using technology to your advantage, teaching/mentoring others, and playing with the knowledge you gain are teaching strategies that have been around for a long time. And if they haven't, we have been doing a disservice to our students.

Where people - educators and politicians and parents and students and almost every other "stakeholder" in education today - may differ is in their interpretations of these habits. Accepting responsibility for your own learning, for example, may look like one thing to one person and a totally different thing to another. When I post the day's activities, homework, and handouts on Schoology, it is my understanding that the students will use that resource and try to figure out what they missed if they were absent. To me, using Schoology instead of emailing me about the homework is taking responsibility for their own learning because I have set it up to help them. However, they may think that going directly to the source is more responsible and will often reach out to me before checking our course page online.

I think the most challenging habit for me will be to teach or mentor others since I am not totally comfortable with all the technology we are using yet. Teaching someone else before you have a good understanding of something usually leads to disaster (at least it has for me). I need a very strong understanding of something before I can try to explain it. However, some of the tools we have used this week have been familiar to me, so I will try to help others with those I know.


Another challenging habit - one that will be very important to me as I continue my work in this course - will be to see problems as challenges and not obstacles. I love physical books, paper, pen and pencil, post-its...and I have grudgingly accepted Google Docs and Schoology work submissions into my life because they really have made my teaching easier and more efficient. However, much of the other technology that I have tried to incorporate into my classroom has failed me or derailed my teaching. When I make the move from a paper quiz to one on Schoology and the Schoology server is down, my entire lesson plan has gone down the drain. When I forget my laptop at home or it is being worked on and I can't project something because my new Ladibug document camera is linked to my laptop, that's frustrating since my old one was not and I liked it like that. When I want my students to work on their online vocabulary through the Wordly Wise 3000 program - a program that has a paper version I have used for years and loved - but the app keeps crashing, the students are sidetracked. I tend to focus on the negative when it comes to technology in the classroom because I believe that we are, in many situations, putting the cart before the proverbial horse and trying to force technology into school without thinking about whether it actually solves more problems than it causes. However, after working with programs and tools that have been successful, my lessons do take on an extra dimension and lead to more engaged students. For them, I need to work on my attitude.

One thing that I have always been good at is creating my own learning "toolbox" - mostly in the form of finding out who knows what I don't and then going to that person for help. I learned that lesson very early in my pre-teaching career, and it has never failed me. The online teaching community is so strong, especially around reading and writing, and I feel very comfortable reaching out for help on just about anything. I'm teaching writing to elementary students this summer, and as a middle school teacher, I was pretty anxious about my interactions with younger kids. I posed some questions to Twitter and Facebook, and within an hour, I had dozens of tips and lesson ideas. Of course, I also reached out in person to my friends who were elementary teachers, and they had great ideas as well. So, technology and the online community are excellent support systems, but I don't think anything will replace the face-to-face conversations I had with my colleagues.

Admittedly, I am going into this course with pre-existing ideas about technology and education. The 7 1/2 habits presentation reinforced what I think is an unfair attitude about "old school" teaching: that there is something inherently wrong with being quiet and seated. In order to get new information, sometimes you have to be quiet and seated - look at the kids who are reading books or searching online or simply listening to a teacher (or other student) explain something. Students who do not have the ability to do this or have never been taught to do this will suffer, not just in the classroom, but in their jobs (it seems like all the videos also promoted the idea that lifelong learning was just to get ahead in the workforce, which I disagree with as well) and relationships as they grow. And sometimes students ARE tardy and need to be helped with time and materials management, whatever is stopping them from getting to class on time. Tardiness in the world beyond the schoolhouse is not tolerated or encouraged (either professionally or personally), so not holding them responsible for that would be a failure on my part. Of course, lifelong learning will not always happen in a classroom, but when they are expected to be a part of a classroom (and beyond), these "old school" skills - which I wholeheartedly believe we still need to teach - are important.      

7 comments:

  1. "However, after working with programs and tools that have been successful, my lessons do take on an extra dimension and lead to more engaged students."

    I think your attitude is already shifting! I always think that sometimes, in our school district, people forget that if you are passionate about education you are passionate about things that are going right AND things that could use some improvement. In addition, I like how your writing expresses how you take some of the responsibility for integrating technology properly, but also are passionate about having the "big picture" discussion and really thinking and reflecting on using technology effectively!

    Where we differ in opinion, is how I see 21st century learners as being a separate type of lifelong learner from the teachers that are teaching them. I am not sure how much there is an actual overlap in the Venn diagram of how digital natives interact with the world and how their teachers, parents, and community members interact with that same world! I hope love and kindness and other similar "old school" skills and habits will be part of the future, but I am not sure if tardiness and being quiet and seated will.

    Thank you for helping me think through the 7 1/2 habits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think that we are responsible for teaching the kids skills they will need outside of the classroom? I know you are passionate about advisory too, so maybe that's the place for teaching those skills...I just can't let go of the idea that they will always need to be able to be quiet sometimes and listen to others, like when they're getting instructions or talking to a friend or listening to a presentation. I have some kids in mind here who struggle with this and I don't know that I know how to teach it to them without espousing the "sit down and shut up" mindset that I definitely do NOT believe in.

      Delete
  2. I chuckled to myself with your Schoology example. It is so relevant in our work with kids today. I think it just points to the need for us to revise our teaching. We used to teach self-advocacy as going to the teacher to ask for help. However, self-advocacy now has a new start. We need to teach our kids to start to advocate by doing what they know first: go to Schoology, phone a friend... It's encouraging that our first attempts as self-advocacy teaching worked so well, but now we need to reteach so that the technology we're incorporating is part of the package.

    I also really connected with your admitted "love of books, paper, pens and pencils, post-its". Perhaps it is the curse of all English teachers that we love these things! I am also hoping this course gives me a new fondness for the technological side of it all. I'm hoping to embrace the Web 2.0 side of this and see where it can take me, and I'm happy we're all on this journey together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily mentioned that we need to teach how to use the "Big Three" at the beginning of the year with technology: Schoology, Google Docs, and...darn it, there was a third, but now I can't remember where she posted it or what it was! I agree that we need to start the year with a different definition of self-advocacy; as the tools we have to teach change, so should our instruction. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. I don't think anyone is saying we don't need to teach the other skills, it's an "and" not an "or." We're also never going to replace good teachers with technology. As Maggie said in another post, "Technology is just a tool." I've always said there is a right tool for the right time, and sometimes Post-its get the job done. Other times, there are tools like Google Keep or DotStorming that get the job done with greater ease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The right tool at the right time is so right on. I thrive off being organized with my files and such so paper and pen doesn't cut it enough for me there, but there are times when I think why would I bother to pull out a device right now when I could just jot this down on post it. I also go to the library every week and take out a ton of books. All that same information is likely online but I like having the physical ability to fold a page and look back on it. The storage power though of having google docs/drive accessible anywhere anytime is priceless.

      Delete
    2. I am SO into Google Keep right now! I can actually see it replacing some of my post-it habits, which I never thought would be the case. Agreed about the accessibility of the Google apps, Susie!

      Delete