01 July 2016

Chromebooks (Thing 6)

At first, I was put off by this "thing" because it was titled "What's a Chromebook and Why Do I Want One?" I didn't know if I wanted one when I started the task but did want to go into this exercise with an open mind. So far, I have taken the tour of the Chromebook that is offered when I opened it, sent emails and written blogs on it, worked on Thing 7 (Google Keep) for a little bit, tried to do Thing 8 (Google Photos) with it, and taken attendance at Adventures with it. I have to say that I am not really partial to this Chromebook over my laptop, mostly because of the same things that I wrote about in my last blog post. I really dislike linking all of my apps, extensions, browsing history, etc. to my Google account! The Chromebook requires you to sign in just to open it, and you don't have the option of logging out of things like Google or YouTube without also logging out of your email. To me, that is frustrating.

I do like the shortcut keys, especially the back and forward, Google search, and full screen/minimize buttons. I also think it's cool that Gmail and Docs can be launched with just one click from the bottom toolbar, and if I ever used the camera on my laptop, I would like the Chromebook feature that allows it to rotate 360 degrees. One thing that I disliked from the start actually ended up being a good learning experience for me (I am practicing viewing problems as challenges!): I couldn't figure out how to make the apostrophe work properly! I was commenting on a few blogs and found myself having to choose between leaving it out entirely or having the Chromebook keyboard convert the apostrophe into an accent mark. I figured that it couldn't be just me, so I Googled the problem, and the Chromebook Central Help Forum was very helpful. I'm using a Chromebook that I checked out from the district, so I don't know who was using what keyboard before me, but changing the keyboard totally worked. I felt very accomplished having found out the answer instead of just giving up! :)

The articles linked to this "thing" were interesting to me - compared to an iPad, I think I WOULD pick the Chromebook. I like the physical keyboard better and the battery life is longer, and the notification center lets me know when my Google accounts need attention. There aren't any updates and all of the extra stuff (the stuff I don't like, sadly enough) works seamlessly. If we were choosing now, I think having a Chromebook instead of an iPad would be better for what I use the iPads for in the classroom, but I can't speak for anyone else. The kids wouldn't be able to download new apps and games as easily, so they would probably use it more for school than they do now. It's less portable than the iPad, though, and a lot of the apps that I use in class are specific to the iPad because that's what we got with the 1:1 technology initiative. Overall, I think the concept of a Chromebook is good, but I didn't like it enough to make the switch.  

4 comments:

  1. I completely forgot about the camera. I think that having the camera rotate puts it on a more level playing field with an iPad as far as photos. I loved your point about the kids not being able to download apps and games as easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish that we didn't have to police them with the iPads. I wonder how we can get them to the point where they'll be more responsible - but then again, it's a small number of them who play games in class. It's just more obvious when they're off task with technology than with paper and pen.

      Delete
  2. I can see what you mean on the negative aspects of a Chromebook, Maggie. With being logged into so many different things, I would be a little iffy about having someone borrow mine. I think I prefer the Chromebooks to iPads as well. Being a "game police" on the iPads became such an infuriating task, I stopped caring at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it comes to iPad vs. Chromebook, I really struggle. I feel like the iPad has all this potential, but when push comes down to shove students would be more academic and write more on the Chromebook. After thinking about this a lot, I think that rolling out Chromebooks is probably much easier than and iPad -- I think students have to be taught how to use, organize, and create with an iPad (even if they can use, organize and create with an iPad in sooo many cool ways), while a Chromebook already just is what a classroom needs and then can (with extensions, etc.) become more and more techie? Thank you for all your thoughts! It pushed me to think about the devices we use in the classroom even more.

    ReplyDelete