21 July 2016

Prezi, Voki, Animoto, and PowToon (Things 19-22)

Full disclosure: I like the idea of using different presentation tools in the classroom, but I don't like the learning curve that often comes with them. Sometimes I think that the time it takes to master a tool is not really worth the final product; I'm not entirely convinced that using a shiny online tool to present material is any better than a posterboard. I know - the right tool for the right thing! One of the major projects in my seventh grade class is a combined English/Social Studies exploration of the Civil War using Gary Paulsen's Soldier's Heart and Steve Sheinkin's Two Miserable Presidents. We used to have the kids do a binder with the information they learned: they had to research a major battle, write a newspaper, and compose some poems, among other things. A few years ago, in an effort to include more technology in our classes, we switched to an iWeb and then a Google Site. Since we switched, it has not been a successful project because more time has been spent with the kids learning how to create and update the sites than learning about the Civil War or exploring the books. It's enough to make us want to use binders and posters again.

Some of these tools, however, seem to be pretty easy to master. I've used Prezi before and would like to switch some of my Keynote or Powerpoint presentations to this format because I really like how it shows the relationship between ideas - it's much easier to follow than simple slides. There are some things that I haven't quite mastered, though; when I added another detail to the third sentence type, I couldn't get the line to curve, which bothered me enough to spend three minutes trying to fix it...but no more! :) I think Prezi would be a great addition to my classroom presentation tools - I will definitely use it for my Go to School Night parent presentation instead of a Keynote. I could see the students using it for presenting research projects or informational texts.



Here is my Voki - I couldn't use the embed code without paying for the service. I recorded my own voice several times but it wouldn't save and I got tired of trying over and over again, so I just went with the text to talk feature instead. I can't see a use for this in the classroom right now except that maybe the kids could use it to create visual representations of characters from books. However, this is one of the tools that I think would be more trouble than it's worth to work with since some of the characters are only for use with the paid subscription, so it might be difficult to get accurate representations of characters. (Side note: my niece and nephew, five and nine years old respectively, LOVED playing with the different characters, so it's clearly a fun thing to do!)

Animoto was really fun for me as well as very easy to use. I liked looking through the different themes, and for practice, it was great that I didn't have to upload any of my own pictures or videos. Video editing is one of the things I'd like to be better at, and Animoto makes it so I don't have to learn that for a beautiful final product. Again, when I incorporate technology into my classroom, I don't want to have to spend a lot of time teaching the kids how to use it. I would rather have something that is quick and easy to master so they can spend the majority of their time on the content, and Animoto, like Prezi, provides this. I think this would be a great tool for advisory; the students could make short videos to introduce themselves at the beginning of the year instead of the traditional paper interviews. They could also use it for their Shadow Day presentations (when they go to work with their parents and bring back a report of what they learned - they're supposed to take pictures too, so this would be great).



The final "thing" for this week was PowToon. This was my least favorite tool by far because it took way too long for me to learn how to use it for (in my mind) very little payoff. I think this is the classic example of style over substance; at least in English class, there aren't many reasons to make a video or animation to show what you have learned (instead of using another method of representation). I think my students would get way too distracted by all of the different options for formatting and focus on what the project looked like instead of the information they were trying to convey. It's cute, but I don't know that I could manage it well enough to help the kids show all of their learning effectively. 


It was good for me to explore these tools this week; I definitely would like to include Prezi and Animoto in my classes next year! If my students already know how to use some of these tools, I would absolutely encourage them to use them for a project if they think that they would be more effective than a poster, paper, etc. in some cases. However, when the method of delivery (such as an essay) is being assessed along with the content (such as supporting main ideas), it cannot be replaced by one of these. I keep thinking about this idea, though:



























I don't want to - in fact, I flatly refuse to - incorporate technology into my lessons just for the sake of having technology, so I've been thinking a lot about how my lessons and objectives need to change when I change my technology. I don't have a lot of answers right now, but thinking about the change is a step in the right direction for me. 

11 comments:

  1. Great post! I haven't had a chance to interact with these presentations yet myself, but I know exactly what you mean about spending more time learning the app than the content you are trying to present. I find my students have such diverse levels of "know how" when it comes to technology that ease of use is the most important deciding factor for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always struggle with how much to differentiate the technology; recently, I've been giving the traditional assignment and telling them that if they have a better way of doing it with tools they already know, then feel free to use them. They've come up with some great stuff that I didn't have to spend class time teaching!

      Delete
  2. Your Prezi was a great example of "how to" do a Prezi. If there was something you were stuck on, you can add me as an editor and I can try to figure it out. I think you said something about a curved line?

    Like the quote that you found to end your post. Here's an article that shares some similar ideas, I like this quote, "The technology amplifies their positive pedagogical qualities."- https://goo.gl/U8pFtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to add lines (or sometimes other shapes) that fit the original template - I can add you as an editor but would like to find out how to do it too! I loved the article - quality over quantity!

      Delete
  3. These are great examples! I, too, though PREZI could be a great way for students to organize their thoughts and present. To me, it felt like a really great pre-write or pre-present. I also loved your quote. I know sometimes it is a "hook" for some of our students to try out something new on the iPad, but often times the learning curve can deter and distract other students. Hopefully, next year, when we are in the classroom we will be able to read our classes well, and introduce technology when it will be most impactful and useful :) Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Em! I'm working on how to balance the flashy tools with the push for more core time spent independently reading or participating in writing workshop. It's my summer challenge for sure!

      Delete
  4. Great post - your example are terrific. I agree with you that PREZI and Animoto can be more easily incorporated into the classroom than Voki & PowToon. I'm with you that it is best to have students work on apps that are not overly 'distracting' with too many options (formatting, backgrounds, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it helps when I let go and have the students teach each other the tools when they are naturally ready; it's something I've gotten better about in the last two years or so. For example, one of my students wanted to write a musical for his independent fiction writing piece, and one of the programs he already knew how to use was useful for another writing piece, so I had him teach a small group how to use it. It worked great, just like when they recommend books to each other instead of me talking about them.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you. I thought that some of these were too time consuming. I am sure with more experience it would take less time to create. I feel this way with creating lessons for my smart board as well. I often may work for an hour on a technology piece for a lesson and it takes ten minutes to use it. Since I teach special education, I can't always re-use my lessons (since I may teach a different grade level or it is specific to the child). I often find myself getting carried away and having fun creating something that I don't always realize that I am not getting the "bang for my buck".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be super frustrating! At least I know I have two classes I can use my presentations with for a year at minimum. I just know my own learning style doesn't let me fool around with a program for too long before I get frustrated, and then my learning about the concept I'm supposed to be showing with the tool has disappeared.

      Delete
  6. Great with detailed information. It is really very helpful for us.
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete