15 August 2016

Atomic Learning (Thing 32)

I have never used Atomic Learning before, so I have no other experiences with which to compare this one. However, I will say that starting my experience with Atomic Learning with that 21st Century Skills Assessment was not very pleasant. It was a moderately long quiz, but it seemed so much longer than 40 questions because there was no progress bar on it, so I had no idea how quickly (or slowly) I was going through it! For me, knowing how long something is going to take me or how many questions I'll have to answer is an important part of pacing myself. Also, while the results at the end of the quiz told me my overall score, how it broke down into percentages, and which questions I missed, it did not tell me the correct answers to the questions I answered incorrectly. I was disappointed by this because I don't think it's a good model of one of the standards (reflection and re-assessment). I would have liked to know what the right answer was and why. I did look for topics that would help me with my worst categories, but without knowing which answers I selected and which were incorrect (I definitely didn't remember what I put), they were not very useful.



As with most of the websites, programs, and apps we have worked with during this course, there are helpful resources here if you know where to look. When I selected my top three areas of interest, there were a lot of courses that I had to sift through before I got to any that were helpful. When I filtered by issue in the second task, though, that brought me some good information. I chose "Increasing Student Engagement" and found the "YouMatter: Mattering IS the Agenda" course. The only part of it that was unlocked was the introductory video, but that part was interesting. On one hand, it seems kind of unbelievable that teachers wouldn't know about reaching the students emotionally and paying attention to them before trying to teach the material, and some of the video was sort of cheesy. On the other hand, it's an important reminder to us that we are teaching the students, not the material, and I really liked the idea of starting with the staff before asking them to do it with the students. More and more often, I think teachers find themselves unappreciated, and it wouldn't take long to start to remedy that. After all, we can't take care of the kids if we can't take care of ourselves.

In the third task, I searched for reading, writing, and vocabulary. I found this course on collaborative writing with Google Docs that I really liked because it addressed both how to use Google Docs AND parts of the writing process. It is essential to me that any integration of technology into the classroom does not overshadow the skills I need to teach. In other words, the focus of the lesson should be on the writing process and collaboration, not on how Google Docs works. Of course, teaching how Google Docs works is important for online collaboration, but if it overshadows the teaching of how writing works, it's not worth it.




The other courses I found were about challenging advanced readers and using Snapchat in education. The first came up when I searched "reading," which made sense to me, but the second came up when I searched "vocabulary." I was intrigued. Snapchat has only ever caused problems for me as a teacher, so I have never thought of incorporating it into the classroom. I'm skeptical about answering questions "in real time" as described in the video because I think it's another thing that I would have to remember to do outside of school hours (not to mention the complication of having to have my school iPad with me at all times since I wouldn't use it on my phone), and I don't know how many of the kids would actually use it. But I LOVED the idea of the kids taking snaps of objects and labeling them with their Spanish names (the vocabulary connection). 

I can definitely see assigning that Google Docs collaborative writing resource to the kids before we start using Docs in our writing - that would be super helpful. The other courses I viewed were geared toward teachers, so obviously I wouldn't use those. I'll come back to this resource and see what other student-geared courses I could use in my classroom. I'm not sure how teachers would feel about having Atomic Learning assignments tailored to assessment results. If you mean standardized assessments that we have not written, I don't think it would go over well. In my mind, it would be one more step toward the computerization of learning. After all, if you have courses the students watch individually, tests they take individually, and then assignments that a computer generates that they work on individually, where is the teacher's role? 

I understand that we should be working to use technology to streamline the parts of learning that students can and should do on their own, but I don't think that making everything automated is the answer. Students need to collaborate, bounce ideas off of each other, receive feedback from a real person...I'm uncomfortable with the idea of the automatic, online loop. If the assignments come as a result of assessments that we wrote and feel were implemented with fidelity, then I think there's potential for that. It could save time and differentiate the assignments so there would be more time for teachers to work with students individually or in smaller groups. To my mind, that is the goal of educational technology: to help make individualized learning more possible. 

2 comments:

  1. Amazing work! I'm not sure if the most important goal of public education is individualized learning or if that should be the goal of educational technology. I see student centered and differentiation, but individualized -- do you need a public school and a public school teacher for that? Not sure if my thought/question is articulate but it is something I think about a lot -- especially since I was taught that progressive education is preparing students to be part of our democracy ... You made me think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe instead of "individualized" I do mean more "differentiated" - I'm thinking in terms of independent reading, perhaps, where each kid could be reading a different book and I have to find a way to teach the reading and writing standards through that. I, too, am always trying to find the balance between meeting each kid where he or she is and preparing them for a world that probably will not do that!

      Delete